Challenging the two-party system

I am writing Beyond the Duopoly to challenge the two-party system in the United States. This blog exists to be my journal and to communicate with my readers.

Tuesday, June 08, 2004

title, Duopoly vs. Knot

I did a Google search on "Beyond the Duopoly" and got a bunch of listings discussing utilities in Australia. I wasn't enamored with the name before and this reduced my enthusiasm more.

A name came to me last night while watching Paycheck. It's a John Woo Sci-Fi movie with Ben Affleck with a plot that combines the memory issues of Total Recall with the seeing the future aspects of Minority Report. Carl rating: a solid three stars. After providing the IMDB links I feel inadequate for not previously connecting that all three movies were based on short stories by Philip K. Dick, a prolific Chicago author.

The names:
"Cleaving the Gordian Knot"
"Cleaving the Knot"

While a bit cryptic by themselves I envisioned a cover with a ballot with the choices "Democrat" and "Republican" and the voter scrawls "I want another choice!" or "I want another fucking choice!"

Do you have any suggestions or feedback?

5 Comments:

At 11:41 AM, Blogger Carl Nyberg said...

"Cleaving" and "Knot" are pretty expressive words. "Duopoly" is too cryptic.

I don't think one has to know about Alexander and the Gordian Knot to get the spirit of "Cleaving the Knot". This is why I prefer it to "Cleaving the Gordian Knot".

 
At 4:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the cover should be a mobius strip with democrats and republicans one the other "side"

 
At 5:23 PM, Blogger Carl Nyberg said...

I really like the Mobius strip idea!

If you're gonna post as anonymous, could you include a name, even if a knickname, in your post?

 
At 12:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, that post came from Roy N.

 
At 4:16 PM, Blogger Carl Nyberg said...

Here's a few more names to discuss:

Misdirection and false choices: an alternative to two-party politics

Misdirection, false choices and timidity of imagination

Misdirection, false choices and cowardice

Unraveling the two-party system

 

Post a Comment

<< Home